How to Winter-Proof Your Furnace
"75% of middle of winter service calls are because of lack of maintenance"
Whether we are prepared for it or not, fall is just around the corner. With the change of season comes cooler temps, and we begin thinking about turning on the furnace. However, before a cold night hits and you find out your furnace isn't working as it should, prevention can save you money and stress. Winter-proof your furnace by calling in a professional for cleaning and servicing.
Some people assume that with newer furnaces there is no need for yearly "check ups", but a simple in-home inspection in the fall could save you a lot on money and stress in the winter. An annual inspection will also help when you should you ever need to use your warranty. A yearly maintenance also prolongs the life of your furnace and saves you money in energy bills. In fact, 75% of middle of winter service calls are because of lack of maintenance.
It is important to know what is included in a furnace cleaning and inspection, as not every business includes the same services. Most will include cleaning and safety/leak inspection and testing, but some are very thorough where others just do the basics.
Here are some simple tips you can do on your own to keep that furnace safe and efficient in between the professional visits:
- Keep the area around your furnace clean and uncluttered
- Don't close off more than 20% of the registers as this causes unnecessary heat build up
- Replace filters monthly
- Install carbon monoxide detectors
- Use a programmable thermostat (can save up to 10% in energy costs)
There are also warning signs that your furnace isn't well to be aware of:
- Scale (rust flake) build up
- Yellow flame (should be blue)
- Odd relay sounds (electrical issues)
- Puffing burners or banging (meaning delayed ignition)
- Short cycling (runs a few minutes then shuts off)
- You seem to constantly experience headaches or flu-like symptoms (gas leaks)
With regular professional upkeep and these tips, your furnace should stay in tip-top shape for many years. Schedule your in-home inspection today by calling us at: 1-888-4-MRDUCT (1-888-467-3828)
Posted September 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM