Mr. Duct - Dryer Vent Cleaning
Trust Mr. Duct for Your Dryer Vent Cleaning Services
The Basics: Proper Dryer Vent Cleaning Process
Dryer vents with long runs often have many bends and pressurized air may not be enough to move debris out of the line. Our certified technicians will assess the situation for you with an air flow reading, develop a cleaning strategy to remove your debris, and follow up the service with another air flow reading to ensure the debris has been removed.
The following video, produced and aired by NBC's Today Show, illustrates the basics of what you need to know about dryer vent cleaning.
Why You Should Get Your Dryer Vent Cleaned
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that clothes dryers are associated with approximately 15,600 fires yearly. Fires can occur when lint builds up in the dryer or in the exhaust duct. Lint can block the flow of air, cause excessive heat build-up, and result in a fire in some dryers.
According to recent industry studies, an excessively clogged dryer vent may add an additional $18-$24 to your home's energy bill. That translates to almost $300 a year in unnecessary fees. Most dryer vent cleaning bills come well below this $300 mark, so it only makes sense to follow dryer manufacturer recommendations and have the cleaning performed once a year.
Warning Signs: Need For Cleaning Indicators
It is very easy to recognize the signs for dryer vent cleaning need. They include:
- Drying times that surpass 35-40 minutes
- Clothes that are abnormally hot to the touch after drying
- Your vent hood flap does not open during a dryer’s operation
- It has been a year since your last dryer vent cleaning
Cost and Time Estimates
Many dryer vent cleaners provide set pricing. This may seem great because it's straight forward, but some dryer vents run 5 feet and others 40 feet. Some dryer vents have one bend, others have five. Some vent to the side, under the deck, or through the roof. Others vent to the attic, the basement, or not at all.
The fact of the matter is that every dryer vent is different and once a cleaner is out, the pricing hiking begins. Each elbow can be an additional add-on and your low quote becomes increasingly higher.
Efficient Service Time
Typical service time in a residential home will run between 30 minute to an hour. We understand that your schedule is as busy as ours, so our dryer vent cleaners will always provide an estimate for time completion before they begin the cleaning.
To lengthen the benefits of your dryer vent cleaning, there are a few preventative measures you can take:
- Regularly remove lint from your dryer vent's lint trap. It is recommended that you do this after every load
- Make sure you dryer vent is up to code: if your vent pipe is made of foil or plastic, you'll need to replace it with a safer metal line instead.
- Make sure the vent line isn't smashed or crinkled in any place as this will interfere with the airflow. Be especially watchful that your clothes dryer is not pushed back so far that it smashes or crinkles the vent.