Dryer Vent Maintenance Tips for Homeowners
There are a few preventative measures homeowners can take to lengthen the benefits of your dryer vent cleaning. Here is a list of what you can do.
- Regularly remove lint from your dryer vent's lint trap.
- It is recommended that you do this after every load.
- Make sure you dryer vent is up to code.
- If your vent pipe is made of flexible foil or plastic, you'll want to replace it with a safer, solid metal line instead.
- Make sure the vent line isn't smashed or crinkled in any place as this will interfere with the airflow.
- Be especially watchful that your clothes dryer is not pushed back so far that it smashes or crinkles the vent.
- Be sure to keep the area around the dryer free of flammable materials.
- Don't leave clothes on top of your dryer.
- It is recommended that you do not leave the house when your dryer is in use.
- Remember to schedule appointments to have your dryer vent professionally cleaned at least once a year.